NAPS is governed by a Board of Directors, which meets at least once a year. The Vice President is responsible for organizing the program of the annual meeting, or conference, during his or her term of office. Officers and other members of the Board of Directors are elected at the open business meeting that takes place during the annual meeting of the Society.
Current board members are:
- Kate Cooper, President (2016-2017)
- D. Jeffrey Bingham, Vice-President/President Elect (2016-2017)
- Susanna Elm, Immediate Past President (2016-2017)
- Rick Brumback, Secretary/Treasurer (2016-2020)
- Christine Shepardson, Member at Large (2014-2017)
- Young Kim, Member at Large (2014-2017)
- Christine Luckritz Marquis, Member at Large (2016-2018)
- Mark DelCogliano, Member at Large (2016-2018)
- Erin Galgay Walsh, Student Member at Large (2016-2017)
- Stephen Shoemaker, editor of JECS (2015-2020), ex officio
- Christopher Beeley, editor of Christianity in Late Antiquity Series (2016-2021), ex officio
- The Awards and Prizes Committee (APC)
The APC receives and vets applications for the grants and awards listed here (except for the “best first book” and “best first article” prizes). The APC was first created as an ad-hoc committee of the Board in 2012. Its membership varied until the Board established it as a standing committee in 2014. It is comprised of the following, eight members:
Chair: Immediate Past President
Members: One of the two Member at Large to the Board serving in their second year; six individuals from the membership of the Society (not Board members) each serving a three-year term. The Nominating Committee recruits and nominates to the Board these six individuals. Two are nominated each year in order to ensure staggered terms. As of May 2016, the Nominating Committee has had the opportunity only to select two individuals to serve for a three-year term. The remaining four open positions will be filled on a one-year basis only by appointment of the President. This practice will continue until the Nominating Committee alone selects individuals for this board committee.
Individuals serving on the committee in 2016-2017: Susanna Elm (Chair), Christine Shepardson (Board member), Erika Hermanowicz (2016-2019), John Penniman (2016-2019), four members to be appointed by the President.
- Digital Humanities Committee (ad-hoc, but transitioning to standing committee)
More will be posted about the work and the composition of this committee in the future.